Position is responsible for coaching athletes in competitive Cheerleader techniques to prepare them for events or competition. Position motivates athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
1. Works with cheerleaders during practices and meets.
2. Assesses skills and assigns team positions.
3. Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
4. Works with the Cheer Director/Manager in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
5. Coaches and instructs cheerleaders, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
6. Observes cheerleaders, during events and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
7. Establishes and maintains standards of athlete’s behavior and provides proper supervision of at all times.
8. Monitors the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
9. Follows established procedures in the event of an injury.
10. Follows state, regional, and district regulations governing the program.
11. Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards cheerleaders, officials, and spectators.
12. Follows established procedures for supplies and uniforms.
13. Works with the Cheer Director/Manager to develop a policy for awards and submits a list of award winners at the end of the season.
14. Participates in special activities to include parent’s night, banquets, award nights, and pep assemblies.
15. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
1. Attends staff development meetings, clinics, and other professional activities to improve coaching performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Some experience as a competitive Cheerleader coach at the high school or college level
Preferred. Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills. Must possess a thorough knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques of the sport. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with organization, parents, and athletics.
Cheerleading Coach Requirements
1. Completes “Fundamentals of Coaching”
2. Completes CPR/First Aid training and certification
3. Completes Coaching Youth Cheerleading: The AYC Way
4. American Sport Education Program (ASEP) Certification
5. Concussion Certification
6. Undergo Background Check