The American Red Cross will provide recovery services for survivors of the May 2013 Tornadoes in the affected Oklahoma Counties. Period of Performance is 18 months from hire with a possible 6 month extension.
Job Description: The American Red Cross is seeking an experienced community organizer/ mobilizer to facilitate community convening and problem solving around tornado recovery and resilience building. Spanish speaking is required in this position. The Associate will lead community recovery efforts in a geographically defined area under the direction of Community Recovery & Resiliency Manager. The Associate will utilize an established strategy, to develop and/or participate with Long Term Recovery Committees, Unmet Needs committees, and other coalitions of community leaders and stakeholders that will then identify and act on recovery priorities.
* Working in partnership with community leaders, government officials and stakeholders to conduct community assessments to understand the impact of the storm, response and recovery efforts to date,
and assess the gaps between needs and resources;
* Conducting strategic planning for community recovery interventions; Facilitating meetings and brokering action among multiple community sectors;
* Performing a variety of outreach activities such as establishing contacts and attending community meetings;
* Acting as a liaison between community actors; Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with community agencies, schools, businesses, various levels of government and the general public;
* Monitoring progress through collecting data- both qualitative and quantitative.
* Supervise one or more Recovery and Resiliency Specialists.
If this is a position that fits what you are looking for, please apply at:
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. 3 years related experience. Spanish speaking is required, must be biligual. Extensive experience in working at the local community level. Experience leading the planning and implementing community projects. Ability to work with diverse opinions and reach consensus. Understanding of disaster recovery preferred. Knowledge of local community required. Ability to follow prescribed procedures. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to be flexible and multi-task. Good organizational skills are a must. Good team player. Must possess cultural sensitivity.
Management experience: 2 -3 years Location: Multiple locations in OKC and surrounding areas Travel: Local travel mostly, several out of town trips for meetings Time: 40 hours per week
Duration: Period of Performance is 18 months from hire with a possible 6 month extension.
At The American Red Cross, our humanitarian mission connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. We are committed to ensuring that our people, programs, and services reflect the diversity of the people and communities we serve. By joining the Red Cross, you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Our dedicated staff are crucial to the Red Cross and the delivery of our mission.