Compensation: $9.84 / hour Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 12-25 / per week, varies Program Time: 1:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. or
6:00 am - 9:00am (Times Vary Per Site)
Sacramento START is building the capacity of individuals to succeed by providing opportunities to learn and lead within our communities. Sacramento START fosters enthusiasm for learning through fun and structured activities in a safe and caring after school environment for over 4000 students at 33 Elementary School sites.
Sacramento START opened its doors in 1996 at 13 schools. Today, Sacramento START is dedicated to providing its students with the knowledge, skills, and character traits needed to succeed in school and in the competitive world beyond in four school districts throughout Sacramento (Elk Grove, Robla, Sacramento and Twin Rivers).
The Recreation Aide will provide activities and assistance for groups of up to 20 elementary school students in homework, fitness, nutrition and special events/family activities by selecting a variety of age-appropriate activities at a school site.
· Plan, organize and implement age/grade appropriate recreation site activities for elementary school children in after school programs
· As needed, to select a variety of activities appropriate to children of various age groups.
· Review program plans with site director and classroom teacher for effective program implementation.
· Participate in and evaluate the effectiveness of activities and events
· Instruct children in the safe and proper use of materials and supplies
· Supervision of children in a 1:20 adult to child ratio
· Observe children on a daily basis to detect health problems or special needs
· Assist with developing discipline techniques and classroom management.
· Compile simple written records related to assigned programs or facility.
· Participate in cleaning and maintaining facilities and equipment
· Provide quality interaction with parents, teachers and school staff.
· Ensure measurable improvement in children’s fitness and social performance.
· Prepare a weekly lesson plan outlining planned activities.
· Participate in weekly site staff meetings and on-going training opportunities.
· Perform related duties as assigned.
· School age fitness-oriented programs, sports and nutrition curriculum and activities, preferred.
· Early childhood development, preferred.
· Demonstrated knowledge of, and the ability to assist instruction.
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. Generally this will require:
· College level coursework in child development or education or recreation or physical fitness is desirable.
· Completion of the twelfth grade or the equivalent and 48 college semester units or 60 college quarter units in College level coursework or passing of the NCLB (No Child Left Behind) exam.
· Pass a language and math competency test.
· Read, write and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
· Work with diverse ethnic, gender, age and cultural groups.
· Organize and direct a variety of activities for groups of elementary school children.
· Maintain patience while working with children.
· Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· Submit a TB clearance from a physician or medical facility
· Receive fingerprint clearance from the Sacramento Police Department
· 18 years or older
Contact the Sacramento START office, 5735 47th Avenue - Sacramento, CA 95824 (located in the Serna center, Sacramento City Unified School District). For questions regarding Sacramento START and/or the position call Start Receptionist at 808-6197.
To apply, please submit a completed application packet to the Sacramento START office, 5735 47th Avenue - Sacramento, CA 95824 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
· Your resume
· A detailed cover letter demonstrating your interest in working with Sacramento START and your unique qualifications for the position
· City of Sacramento Application
· Sacramento START Recreation Aide Supplemental Application
· Transcripts or copies of College Coursework or the NCLB (No Child Left Behind) exam
The most qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
If hired, the applicant will then go through the process of certification, finger print/background clearance, T.B. test, and job training. All hired applicants must go through the entire process before they can work onsite with the students.
The City of Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.