Responsible for providing accurate and timely financial statements on a monthly basis to the Executive Team, Department Heads, and Board of Governors, as well as, audited year-end financial statements and any other financial reports requested. This position has strong decision-making responsibilities related to the month-end procedures and is one of the technical liaisons for the Accounting and Finance department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees General Ledger responsibilities such as performing month-end account analysis and reviewing reconciliations; reviewing general ledger activity; preparing, entering and posting journal entries; and any other tasks deemed necessary to facilitate the month or year-end close process.
- Reviews monthly bank account reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly investment account reconciliations.
- Maintains, records and reconciles fixed assets including the preparation of roll forward activity.
- Maintains, records and reconciles inventory.
- Oversees the annual year-end audit, including preparing and reviewing audit schedules, reviewing items gathered for audit and independently researching questions and working with the external auditors.
- Resolves technical problems and answers questions.
- Trains, mentors and coaches associates as well as other accounting staff.
- Plans, assigns and reviews the work of others.
- Tests Workday applications for upgrades and implementations.
- Leads initiatives and provide recommendations to improve internal control procedures and efficiency of the operations of all domestic business units and evaluates these operations to ensure policies and procedures are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and ethical financial management practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Excellent grammar, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong understanding of the general ledger, month-end closing processes and year-end audit process.
- Knowledge and appreciation of key business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research, and/or laboratory facility.
- Advanced skills in Excel spreadsheets and word processing software required.
- Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of business research principles, processes, and techniques.
- Strong computer skills utilizing software such as Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and e-mail.
- Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to research applicable Accounting pronouncements.
- Ability to maintain and foster sensitivity and respect for a culturally diverse work environment.
- Ability to display supportive behavior and communicate positively regarding department goals and objectives.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of personalities to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field.
- Three to five years progressive accounting experience or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- CPA preferred.
- Public accounting experience, preferably Big 4.
- Workday experience strongly preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT (if applicable)
- Work is performed in a designated professional office workstation and environment.
- Extensive use of office equipment to include computer, calculator, copier, fax, and other business related machines and software.
- May occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
TO APPLY, COPY/PASTE LINK: