- Park Ranger Mounted Unit Working Student
Working students will assist with barn chores, grooming horses before and after patrols, and cleaning tack. Working students will gain experience and knowledge of the profession by assisting mounted rangers with preparations for the park patrols, programs, and/or events, as well as learning about natural horsemanship. Activities include: Basic Horse Care, Basic Stable and Yard Maintenance, and assigned administrative projects.
All working students assist with park programs that involve school/special from toddlers to elderly, special needs groups and the general public; CORI check required. No paid positions available. Riding opportunities are not offered for working students.
Commitment must be minimum 1 day per week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday).
- Enhance job applications with professional association and experience.
- Develop spirit of cooperation and collaboration within your community.
- Support environment sustainability by enhancing and protecting wildlife habitats and natural areas in parks.
- Complete training session series for certificate and letter of reference.
- Must have experience in handling horses and light grooming
- This position requires moderate physical activity. Please be sure you are comfortable and capable with the physical aspects of the role you select.
- Minimum 1 day per week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) shadow/assistance with park programs, events, patrols, and maintenance.
Some Annual Programs/Events:
- New Year’s Eve Hikes Event @ Blue Hills Reservation/Milton (January)
- Maple Sugaring Event @ Blue Hills Reservation and Breakheart Reservation (March)
- Equestrian Training Area Spring Clean-up @ Blue Hills Reservation/Canton (April)
- Lovelane’s Therapeutic Center Annual Road Race (June)
- 4th of July patrol Esplanade (July)
- Sandcastle Festival Event @ Revere Beach Reservation/Revere (July)
- Labor Day Parade (September)
- Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children Joint Fall Trail Ride (October)
- Pumpkin Float Festival Event @ Pope John Paul Park/Dorchester (October)
- Broderick Stable Fall Volunteer Day @ BTB Stable Blue Hills Reservation (November)
- Holiday Open House @ Brian T. Broderick Stable Blue Hills Reservation (December)
Department of Conservation and Recreation
Massachusetts Park Ranger Mounted Unit