Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Performs various tasks in a landfill including containing loose refuse to prevent scattering, and directing traffic at the landfill.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
• Manually picks up windblown paper from periphery of landfill. Carries a large plastic trash bag and walks along the fenced border of the landfill, as well as on exterior land adjacent to the public property. Pulls paper from the fence and lifts loose paper from the ground, depositing refuse in bag until full.
• Uses mobile vacuum to gather loose paper and refuse. Drives tractor pulling vacuum along the fenced border of the landfill, as well as on the exterior land adjacent to the public property. When destination is reached, parks and descends the tractor. Grasps the vacuum hose handle and guides to vacuum loose paper from the fence and ground. When the immediate area is vacuumed, ascends the tractor cab and drives forward. Parks and descends the cab, repeating the vacuum process as necessary. Repeats these steps, working around the outer edge of the landfill.
• During the summer months, when traffic at landfill is extraordinarily heavy, the laborer is stationed at the landfill entrance in a chair to direct the traffic. Directs the flow of trucks.
• Communicates with the drivers verbally or by hand signals.
• Lifts construction materials for projects related to site maintenance i.e., lumber, bags of concrete mix, hand tools, etc. Uses hand tools such as shovels, picks, axes and chain saws.
• Manually separates metal, white goods, lumber and cardboard from trash on tipping floor at landfills with transfer station.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: None required
• Experience: No prior experience required
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Licenses as required by Local, State, Federal, Environmental and/or Health/Safety Regulatory agencies.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• None required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) part of the work day;
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than _ pounds occasionally;
• Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
• Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the work day;
• Normal setting for this job is: outdoor/landfill.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, company pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran