Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
Tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Are you ready to take the next step and work on equipment that requires a high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - using modern maintenance practices and technologies? Are you looking for that right opportunity which will allow you to use and be rewarded for your skills and ability, and provide opportunity for growth? Our Mechanics are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and, at some locations, on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. We care about our mechanic’s safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our mechanics and managers. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Performs preventive maintenance inspection (PMI); troubleshoots, repairs, and rebuilds major components on vehicles and equipment. Ensures accurate diagnosis and effective repair and/or replacement of components. As Lead on the Floor or Shift, provide guidance and training along with assisting other Mechanics as directed by the Fleet manager. Order/receive parts, communicate with vendors.
Day shift, industry experience preferred. Uniforms and large shop tools provided. Warranty bonus quarterly.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
• Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate/OSHA Standards, and performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures. Immediately reports any discrepancies to the Fleet Manager.
• Ensures compliance with all fleet processes (e.g. parts ordering, scheduling, fleet prides, warranty capture)
• Provides feedback to Fleet Manager on performance and daily progress of activities
• Ensures timely and efficient functions within the shop.
• Performs periodic QCI inspections and ensures the timely and effective repair of any problems identified during an inspection.
• Provides assistance, guidance and direction to other maintenance personnel.
• Reviews and completes work orders on a daily basis.
• Provides guidance on daily work for Mechanics.
• Will occasionally direct work assignments to Mechanics
• PM scheduling, review, schedule, sign PM’s, sign off others
• Reviews completed PM’s and applicable paperwork for other Mechanics
• Makes recommendations regarding scheduling and assigned tasks in accordance with business needs
• May be required to Lead safety meetings
• Assists with monitoring required WMU training for other Mechanics to ensure compliance
• Provide estimates on time and material costs for repairs and new parts.
• Orders and receives parts and supplies as needed.
• Performs proficient inspection, diagnosis and moderately complex repair of assigned vehicles and equipment
• Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
• Advises Fleet manager immediately if additional work is needed or if repairs cannot be completed within the Standard Repair Times (SRTs).
• Inspects the quality of outside/supplier repairs and or rebuilds. Assesses structural damage and assigns needed repairs utilizing the most appropriate method(s).
• Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
• Conducts safety checks on vehicles. Performs maintenance related work as required.
• Prioritize repairs / deficiencies, makes immediate decisions regarding out of service status, and determines repair priorities.
• In the absence of supervision, will provide maintenance supervisory duties.
• Ability to ensure and enforce all shop related safety protocol, (administer) – Follow and reinforce with others all safety processes and protocols
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: Not Required
• Experience: Four years relevant work experience.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Valid driver’s license and must have a clean driving record.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Legally eligible to work in the United States.
• Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• Skill in operating tools equipment, parts and procedures utilized during the repair and servicing of vehicles and equipment
• Skill in repair of special purpose equipment, ability to effectively communicate needed repairs or tasks
• Ability to diagnose defects in and repair a variety of equipment and vehicles
• Ability to utilize fleet maintenance software program
• Knowledge of Total Tire Maintenance Program may be required.
• A desire to have a career path leading to a management position would be ideal. Effectively communicate with mechanics and supervisors.
• Must possess sound decision making abilities and be capable of prioritizing work load.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: repair/maintenance shop.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran