Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary The Sorter is responsible for safely and efficiently processing incoming recyclable materials so that outbound commodities are acceptable for sale to various brokers or mills.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
• Manually sort recyclable materials such as cardboard, plastic bottles, aluminum cans, paper, etc. on a fast-paced moving conveyor.
• Ability to identify and remove 40-50 items per minute, (minimum requirement), from moving conveyor lines and place into properly designated receptacle bin.
• Lift and dump containers of material.
• Keep surrounding work area clean and free of trip hazards, to include but not limited to conveyors and sort lines.
• Assist and coordinate with Supervisor or/and Line lead the cleaning of the screens, conveyors yard etc.
• Assist in end of shift clean-up of assigned work areas.
• Assist other co-workers with heavy bulky items as needed.
• Wear proper Personal Protective Equipment at all times (steel toed boots, safety gloves, safety glasses, hard hat and vest).
• Report any accidents, injuries, “near misses”, unsafe working conditions, practices or situations immediately to supervisor.
• Participate in the safety programs and follow all safety rules set by Site Management.
• Report any worker-public safety factors and/or equipment malfunctions.
• Attend weekly/monthly safety/operations meetings.
• Other duties as assigned.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
IV. Qualifications We are looking for individuals with limited to no experience that exhibit a willingness to train and express genuine care and concern for their own and their coworker’s safety. This location has a history of developing motivated individuals for more technical positions and promoting employees from within.
V. Work Environment
This position requires manual dexterity with both hands as well as an ability to distinguish various materials within a short period of time, the capability of standing for long periods of time while lifting, bending and turning from side to side repeatedly, the capability to use stairways frequently, the ability to learn to separate many types of recyclable materials, some of which are very similar in appearance, and the ability to work in cold or hot weather. This position reports to the Production Supervisor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Opportunity for internal growth and promotion.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran