Management Business Solutions has been retained by Ferris State University to be a “value-add” partner to their recruitment for this position. As a solution-based staffing organization; we have aligned our processes to mirror Ferris’s talent strategies to identify, screen and recruit qualified candidates.
To apply for this job, and to learn more about the possibilities at Ferris State University, please visit their website at https://employment.ferris.edu/postings/32782
Direct and coordinate the labor relations functions for all bargaining groups.
- Administer the University’s collective bargaining agreements. Administering these contracts may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Advise and counsel department administrators on the procedures for rectifying work performance and disciplinary problems.
- Investigate and respond, or assist in responding, to grievances.
- Conduct or assist in conducting grievance hearings and attempt to resolve grievances.
- Interpret contract language and the results of grievance arbitrations for administration.
- Represent or assist in representing the University in grievance arbitration cases.
- Work with HR on labor issues relating to benefits, policies, etc.
- Assist as needed in preparing for arbitration.
- Conduct labor relations training programs for supervisors.
- Negotiate or assist in negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Research, collect, analyze, and prepare information for negotiations, grievance arbitration, and fact-finding.
- Work closely with departmental administration and labor unions to find mutually acceptable solutions to issues.
- Establish and maintain open communication with the various bargaining groups.
- Advise management on various labor relation issues.
- Assist, as requested, on faculty labor relation issues.
- Respond to union information requests (PERA, etc.)
- Serve on various University committees as requested.
Responsibilities: Reports directly to the General Counsel. Works in a liaison capacity with the various employee groups, and in partnership with HR on labor relations as they apply to employment and benefit issues. Responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of designated information.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in labor relations, human resources, business, or related field.
- Desirable: Master’s degree or Juris Doctorate or equivalent.
- Minimum: Five years professional work experience in the field of labor relations. Must have experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements as the chief/assistant spokesperson and preparing for arbitrations. Must have demonstrated interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Preferred: Professional work experience in education and/or public sector.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way to modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind of level or difficulty.
MANAGEMENT BUSINESS SOLUTIONS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER