The estimator will be responsible for coordinating estimating activity for a specific trade or group of trades including subcontractor relations, bid scope preparation, bid management, bid evaluation, preparation of subcontractor bid comparisons, and recommendation of the lowest responsible bidder for the work. The estimator reports to the senior estimator and director of estimating and preconstruction services.
As estimator you will:
- Exercise discretion to obtain the best bids for assigned scope of work.
- Prepare accurate, organized, and concise scope directives with appropriate quantities for subcontractor use in preparing bid proposals.
- Coordinate scope directives with Senior Estimators and other estimators working with related trades.
- Develop and maintain positive subcontractor relationships through regular dialog with subcontractor representatives.
- Promote a positive image of Ruff Framing Inc to subcontractors and gather information from subcontractors that are advantageous for Ruff Framing in bid preparation.
- Canvas subcontractors to ensure adequate subcontractor proposal coverage for all the trades for which you are responsible.
- Contact subcontractor suppliers and other sources in order to identify and contact all subcontractors working on each project.
- Identify gaps and coordinate coverage with senior estimators and other trade estimators.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the bidding documents including general bidding requirements and those requirements relative to your trades on each project.
- Organize the bid information in bid tabulation worksheets and review worksheets with senior estimators and other trade estimators when necessary.
- Identify value engineering opportunities through analysis of bid documents and conversations with subcontractor representatives.
- Work with the Director of Estimating and Preconstruction Services and senior estimators to prioritize value engineering opportunities.
- Identify new bid opportunities.
To be successful in this position, you will:
- Four-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical training and/or related experience.
- Construction management or technical training preferred.
- 2 years experience in construction estimating and related functions plus a thorough knowledge of MS Office, On Center OST, and MS Project.
Ruff Framing Inc is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.