Group Leader On CallService Worker
About the Program
Group leaders work in Graham Windham’s after school programs. They supervise children during a variety of academic, recreational, cultural and youth development activities. They create a safe, wholesome environment and help produce well-rounded children who are equipped to handle long-term challenges.
Our afterschool programs are located in Cornerstone and Beacon community centers. These centers provide engaging and structured activities to youth and families during after school hours, evenings, weekends, school breaks and summer recesses.
About the Position
On-call group leaders fill in for permanent group leaders who cannot attend work because of sickness, planned leave, or other reasons. When a group leader is unavailable, the on-call staff are contacted to see if they are able to work.
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Lead activities such as homework help, small group tutoring, art projects and interactive literacy and math activities.
- Create a safe learning environment for participants.
- Maintain accurate student attendance reports and evaluations.
- Attend staff meetings and/or staff development activities.
- Participate in a team approach to mentoring youth through a membership process.
- Participate in Graham Windham’s organizational activities when appropriate.
Please click on link below to apply:
- A high school diploma is required. College students are preferred; applicants with high school diploma or GEDs must have experience working with youth.
- Experience in planning activities for youth ages 6 to 13, preferably in an educational environment (schools, after schools or summer campus).
- One to two years of prior experience working with school-aged children (kindergarten through 8th grade) is preferable.
- Knowledge and practice of the principles of positive youth development.
- Strong facilitation and communication skills, including the ability to effectively work with staff, children and parents.
- A team player who is also able to work independently in a focused manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills. A positive attitude and a professional demeanor.
Harlem and the Hunts Point neighborhood of the Bronx.
Please attach your resume as a PDF or a Word document. Include two references within the attachment.