Group Leader Beacon Part-TimeService Worker NEW YORK, NY, US
Why you should join our team
We offer an exciting opportunity for professionals looking to impact young lives by teaching their areas of expertise. We offer a competitive hourly rate, ongoing professional development and a vibrant work environment at one of the leading child and family organizations in New York City. Here are some of our accolades:
· Harvard Business School New York City Community Partner Award Winner for excellent leadership and management (2019)
· Kym Watson, Chief Operating Officer, inducted into the New York State Women in Human Services Hall of Fame (2019)
· Ranked among top New York City child welfare agencies by the NYC Administration for Children’s Services for helping children find permanent homes (2016-2018)
· Jess Dannhauser, CEO, selected as 2015 “40 under 40” Rising Star in the New York nonprofit community by New York Nonprofit Media (Nov 2015)
About the Program
Beacon programs are school-based community centers serving children age six and older, and adults. There are currently 91 Beacons located throughout the five boroughs of New York City operating in the afternoons and evenings, on weekends, and during school holidays and vacation periods, including the summer. Beacons goal is to give each participant, regardless of age, a positive and fun learning experience in a safe, friendly environment.
Group Leaders are assigned by grade level during afterschool. Afterschool take place M-Fri. between 2p.m. and 6p.m. during the school year and can increase over the summer.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Support the Instructor and Team Leader during class time by preparing and distributing materials and other group content.
· Assist students during homework one-on- one or in small group with homework completion
· Create a safe, bully-free environment for all participants by practicing skills taught in orientation and professional development including- de-escalation, mediation and mindfulness.
· Maintain accurate student attendance reports.
· Attend mandatory staff meetings and professional development trainings
· Ensure that the learning environment is clean, safe and materials are prepared ahead of class
· Use positive classroom management techniques.
Please click on link below to apply:
· Minimum one year experience working with children & teens with children & teens in a structured afterschool environment is preferred.
· High school diploma or equivalency required.
· Experience in working with students from diverse backgrounds, specifically low income communities is preferred.
· Track record of good customer service and organization skills.
· Demonstrated drive to become a professional in the following career fields: Human Service, Psychology, Mental Health, Education, Social Work, and other related field
· Must be a team player.
Core Competencies: Excellent Interpersonal & Conflict Resolution skills; Positive Attitude & Professional Demeanor. Must possess quality communication skills that reflect active listening. Ability to empathize with participants and plan appropriate interventions with staff and supervisor is paramount Bilingual/Spanish preferred.
Group/Team Leaders- Monday-Friday 2p.m.- 6p.m.
Position Type Part Time