Instructor Hunts Pt Part-Time Bronx, NY, US
Why you should join our team
We offer an exciting opportunity for professionals who are looking to make an impact on the lives of young people by teaching their areas of expertise. We are currently seeking passionate instructors in the areas of Sports, Recreation, STEM, Dance and the Arts. We offer a competitive hourly rate, ongoing professional development and a vibrant work environment at one of the leading child and family organizations in New York City. Here are some of our accolades:
· Harvard Business School New York City Community Partner Award Winner for excellent leadership and management (2019)
· Kym Watson, Chief Operating Officer, inducted into the New York State Women in Human Services Hall of Fame (2019)
· Ranked among top New York City child welfare agencies by the NYC Administration for Children’s Services for helping children find permanent homes (2016-2018)
· Jess Dannhauser, CEO, selected as 2015 “40 under 40” Rising Star in the New York nonprofit community by New York Nonprofit Media (Nov 2015)
About the Program
Beacon programs are school-based community centers serving children age six and older, and adults. There are currently 91 Beacons located throughout the five boroughs of New York City operating in the afternoons and evenings, on weekends, and during school holidays and vacation periods, including the summer. Our goal is to give each participant, regardless of age, a positive and fun learning experience in a safe, friendly environment. Instructors will teach a class of students that are assigned by grade level. Classes take place M-Fri. Between 3p.m. and 6p.m. Hours of work can range from 6-12 hours a week during the school year and can increase over the summer.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Teach engaging, age-appropriate lessons plans in a designated content area. This includes planning lessons in advance.
· Create a safe, bully-free environment for all participants.
· Use positive youth development techniques to challenge and encourage the children/youth.
· Attend mandatory staff meetings and professional development trainings.
· Ensure that the learning environment is clean, safe and materials are prepared.
· Use positive classroom management techniques.
· Prepare a session ending event based on your class topic (I.e. art show, dance performance, science project, game)
Please click on link below to apply:
· A minimum of two years coaching/teaching elementary and middle school youth lesson plans in a structured environment.
· A minimum of two years college or equivalent experience required. High school diploma or equivalency required.
· Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds, specifically low income communities.
· CPR, First Aid and AED certified preferred, but not required.
· Track record of good customer service and organization skills.
· Demonstrated ability to design lesson plans and/or teach from a qualified curriculum.
· Strong group and classroom management skills.
Core Competencies: Excellent Interpersonal & Conflict Resolution skills; Positive Attitude & Professional Demeanor. Must possess quality communication skills that reflect active listening. Ability to empathize with participants and plan appropriate interventions with staff and supervisor is paramount
Bilingual/Spanish preferred. Position Type Part Time