The job opening listed below is posted in conjunction with our partner firm, Saltwater, Inc.Employment will be with Saltwater, Inc., not Ocean Associates, Inc.
Saltwater Inc. is a small, innovative company that collects data on fisheries and oceans and is bidding on a contract to provide Biological work. We are looking for a person to fill a part-time, Equipment/Gear Specialist position starting in spring 2020. Work will be conducted on-site at the NEFSC Net Loft in Pocasset, MA. Vessel staging and destaging activities willoccur at various ports in New England. At sea participation on research cruises would be aboard research vessels in theNorthwest Atlantic.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Provide assistance in the construction, maintenance and repair of scientific fishing gear used on EcosystemsSurveys Branch research surveys and projects.
· Assemble or make appropriate repairs to survey and research fishing gear based on assessment of damage and wear, ensuring adherence to all established standards and protocols.
· Assist with inspections and measurements on fishing and sampling gear to ensure adherence to establishedstandards and protocols.
· Assists with the staging, transportation, unloading and installation of scientific survey gear and other equipmentand supplies for ESB surveys and research projects.
· Assist with resupplying scientific fishing gear, materials and hardware as required during field activities.
· Assist efforts to maintain an inventory of all scientific sampling gear and up-to-date records of all scientific gearrepairs and gear inspections.
· Assist with routine efforts to ensure a clean, safe and efficient workspace at the Pocasset Net Loft.
· Participate in resource survey or gear standardization surveys for a period of up to 60 days at sea per year.
Skills, Experience and Education Requirements
· Minimum of 5 years experience with the assembly and repair of bottom trawl and/or scallop fishing gear.
· Minimum of 3 years experience with the scheduling and transportation of fishing or research samplingequipment.
· Minimum of 1 year experience maintaining an inventory of fishing or research equipment and repairs.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
· Current MS Office skills.
· Must meet OMAO health criteria for sea duty on NOAA vessels
· Must be capable of working at sea for extended periods (100 to 140 days annually).
· Must hold a valid state drives license with the ability to operate a Federal motor vehicle.
· Must have medical documentation indicating a passed TB test (PPD) within the past 12 months.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please APPLY THROUGH OCEANASSOC.COM , ADP WEB PORTAL.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are Equal Opportunity Employers and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are government contractors and is required by law to invite applicants to self-identify their race, gender, national origin, disability status and veteran status. Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. are required to use the information it collects as part of its future affirmative action efforts in hiring. The information is collected anonymously by computer and is not connected to your application. You will see a place to check certain boxes in Saltwater Inc. and Ocean Associates Inc. online application. Even though the information is anonymous, self-identification is voluntary. You can always check the box that says you decline to self-identify.
Note: If you are not selected, your materials may be retained for present or future opportunities. We may use your resume in bidding on a project and if we are awarded the work we will contact you before seeking further applicants. If you do not wish us to retain or use your resume to seek work for you, please let us know in the "Notes" section on the second page of the online application.