The full-time Electronics/Technical Specialist at McWane Science Center is responsible for providing excellent in-house technical services in an effective, efficient and timely manner within approved timelines and budgets.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
1. Focus on the effective management, development and maintenance of exhibit and audio/visual features within the organization.
2. Conduct research and development activities in order to fulfill the departmental and museum goals as requested by the Exhibits Shop Manager, Vice President of Exhibits, Facilities & Planning or President/CEO.
3. Organize, evaluate, prioritize and purchase for technical exhibits and system-related projects.
4. Oversee and coordinate the technical exhibit related process including repairs and preventative maintenance.
5. Make recommendations to supervisors and staff regarding technical systems condition and improvement plans for areas such as Exhibits, Program Areas, World of Water and Facilities.
6. Participate in short- and long-range planning with staff members as approved by supervisor.
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum B.A./B.S. degree in an electronics-related field or equivalent experience.
2. Minimum two (2) years of museum or related experience.
3. Ability to organize, plan and manage technical exhibit projects.
4. Working knowledge of research, development, design, fabrication, installation, maintenance and evaluation of technical exhibits, systems and related projects.
5. Good working knowledge of digital and analog electronics, test equipment, programmable logic controllers, industrial controls, audio/visual systems, and computer systems. (Arduino & micro-controllers, and the repair of electronics at the component level are a plus).
6. Ability to work with outside contractors, companies and firms regarding technical components, exhibits and A/V systems.
7. General interest in science, physics, electronics and new technologies.
8. Ability to follow and adhere to all applicable safety regulations.
Minimum Physical Qualifications
1. Perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of time.
2. Climb ladders and stairs in performing the work.
3. Walk for considerable distances in performing the work.
4. Pull or push objects on a regular basis (75 lbs.).
5. Carry objects on a regular basis in the arms or on the shoulders (25 lbs.).
6. Grasp objects utilizing the fingers.
7. Reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
8. Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending legs.
9. Color determination.
10. Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more with or without corrective lenses.
11. Normal range auditory acuity.
Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan including company match; paid time off; free membership and movie screenings; discounts in our gift shop, IMAX Theater and camp program; and on-site parking.
Come join our team! Please forward letter of interest, resume and salary requirements to HR@mcwane.org. EOE