The Shift Manager - Operations position is responsible for utilizing a hands-on approach to effectively deal with technical and non-technical issues related to production by recognizing potential problems and making critical decisions with little input from other managers. Additionally, this role will be directing the safe, efficient, and economical operation of the facility, and coordinating activities of workers engaged in overseeing the operation. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively engage teams and promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration through two-way communication and encouraging new ideas and different perspectives that drive individual, team, and company success.
- Administer the U. S. Steel safety program to ensure a safe work environment, including proper housekeeping.
- Coordinate, organize, and direct activities of the operating crew.
- Supervise union employees and work closely with vendors and contractors.
- Monitor all steps of the operation to ensure Standard Quality and Operating Practices and guidelines are being followed.
- Reduce unit downtime and improve performance of facility equipment.
- Develop and implement operating methods and procedures designed to eliminate operating problems and improve product quality.
- Plan and direct production activities for products in keeping with effective operations and cost factors.
- Implementation of the production plan by coordinating material movement and equipment operation to meet customer specifications – including quality and delivery requirements.
- Assist workers in diagnosing malfunctions in machinery and equipment.
- Devise and implement cost saving strategies.
- Due to the nature of our business, our facilities operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year. Therefore, this position may require rotating shift work, as well as weekend and/or holiday work
- H.S. Diploma or GED required
- Minimum 2 years work experience supervising crews required.
- Experience working rotating shifts, which will include extended workdays, weekends, and holidays.
- Prior experience in a union environment or similar military leadership experience is a plus.
We invite you to learn more about this position and apply at:
U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness. We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.