United States Steel Corporation is looking for a Shift Manager Operations, responsible for utilizing a hands-on approach to effectively deal with technical and non-technical issues related to production by recognizing potential problems and making critical decisions with little input from other managers. In addition, this role will be directing the safe, efficient and economical operation of the facility, and coordinating activities of workers engaged in overseeing the operation.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively engage teams and promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration through two-way communication and encouraging new ideas and different perspectives that drive individual, team, and company success.
- Administer the U. S. Steel safety program to ensure a safe work environment, including proper housekeeping.
- Coordinates, organizes, and directs activities of the operating crew. Supervises union employees and works closely with vendors and contractors.
- Monitors all steps of the operation to ensure Standard Quality and Operating Practices and guidelines are being followed.
- Reduce unit downtime and improve performance of facility equipment.
- Develop and implement operating methods and procedures designed to eliminate operating problems and improve product quality.
- Plan and directs production activities for products in keeping with effective operations and cost factors.
- Implementation of the production plan by coordinating material movement and equipment operation to meet customer specifications – including quality and delivery requirements.
- Assist workers in diagnosing malfunction in machinery and equipment.
- Devise and implement cost saving strategies.
- Perform administrative activities such as scheduling crews, completing production reports, conducting safety conversations, and complying other reporting as necessary.
- High school diploma or GED required. Preferred candidate will have a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Operations Management, Business Management, Industrial Technology or similar degree program or equivalent years of demonstrated knowledge in large industrial or maintenance/operation environment.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience supervising crews in a manufacturing or industrial environment - preferred candidate will have experience supervising unionized employees
- Working rotating shifts which will include extended workdays, weekends, and holidays.
Level and compensation will be based on experience.
-Preferred candidate will have a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Operations Management, Business Management, Industrial Technology or similar degree program or equivalent years of demonstrated knowledge in large industrial maintenance/operation environment.
-Experience supervising unionized employees
Recruiter – US Steel