The Systems Administrator provides IT services at the National Science Foundation's (NSF) scientific research base at Palmer Station, Antarctica. This position is responsible for the administration, maintenance, troubleshooting, and security of all servers, workstations, network operating systems, and backup systems.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for installation, configuration, administration, and system security of a multi-platform environment which includes Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Linux, Macintosh, and VMware systems.
- Manage Microsoft Server 2003/2008, Active Directory, Exchange, and Group Policy Objects.
- Administer VMware vCenter and Veeam Backup.
- Maintain and troubleshoot server, workstation, printer, and copier hardware.
- Manage Windows and Macintosh workstations and applications.
- Responsible for the backup of data, including automatic backup routines and testing of data integrity.
- Create and delete user accounts.
- Assist in the maintenance and administration of Cisco VoIP systems and service.
- Administer DNS and DHCP.
- Serve as PC Tech and Help Desk, providing hands-on assistance to local users.
- Perform security and patch management; implementation of standard configurations.
- Assist with life-cycle management evaluations and recommendations.
- Maintain system documentation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field. Equivalent experience accepted in lieu of degree.
- Demonstrated IT administration and support experience.
- Microsoft Windows skills; Linux a plus.
- Administrative scripting skills preferred.
- Practical experience with virtual environment management and administration.
- Strong computer and peripheral troubleshooting and repair experience.
- Experience providing PC and Macintosh user support desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service and interaction skills.
- High level of initiative and dedication. Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and in a team environment.
- Ability to get along well with others living and working in close quarters.
- Experience with search and rescue, mountaineering, small boat operations, firefighting, or emergency medical response desired but not required.
- Technical Capacity.
- Organizational Skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
The individual in the position must successfully complete physical, dental, and psychological examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This is a full-time position
Performance Period: December 2018- April 2019
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Apply online @ https://ghgcorp.applicantpro.com/jobs/726203.html