Responsible for installation, maintenance, upgrades, customization and administration of the servers comprising the Local Area Network (LAN) environment supporting the USAP. Knowledgeable in a variety of systems, including routers, switches, servers, computers and printers. Provides leadership and technical mentoring to more junior group members as needed.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop detailed procedures and documentation for performing routine computer system maintenance.
- Develops life-cycle replacement criteria and detailed replacement plans for critical infrastructure servers.
- Responsible for troubleshooting and recovery of LAN outages/interruptions.
- Conducts regularly scheduled network maintenance for the multi-server/multi-platform network.
- Provides network administration on UNIX, DOS/Windows, and Macintosh platforms.
- Responsible for administration and support of all networking protocols.
- Implements and supports local and wide-area network communications, electronic mail (E-mail} services, and systems and network security.
- Maintains network operating systems and hardware to the most current approved levels.
- Tests new operating system releases for compatibility with existing business applications.
- Applies patches and updates to networked application software.
- Assists the Computer Technicians, E-mail Administrator, Network Engineer, and LAN/WAN personnel in the performance of their duties as required.
- Works in conjunction with Technical Writers to ensure all configurations and modifications are documented. Administers WINS/DNS/DHCP as required.
- Administers and updates anti-virus software.
- Responsible for the backup of data, including monitoring end-user backups, automatic backup routines, and installing and maintaining backup software.
- Performs other duties as required.
- BS degree in Computer Science or 6 years career experience in network administration. Minimum three years experience in the operation, installation, support and administration of multi-platform LANS required.
- Experience with Windows-based systems, systems analysis and support, and knowledge of communications and E-mail protocols is necessary.
- MCSE is preferred.
- UNIX systems administration, IRIX experience, Macintosh knowledge, support background in an academic or research computing environment, satellite, terrestrial and data communications experience desired.
- Extensive hardware maintenance and router experience preferred.
- Technical Capacity.
- Organizational Skills.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Deployment may be required in this position at discretion of management. If required, the individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, and psychological examination for winter-over positions, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action.
- Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure.
- US citizenship or permanent residence is required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This is a full-time position
Performance Period: October 2018- February 2019
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Apply online @ https://ghgcorp.applicantpro.com/jobs/728514.html