Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Thank you for your interest in Waste Management. In response to COVID-19, we will be conducting our review process through creative solutions. Your patience and flexibility is appreciated as our process may involve virtual solutions and take longer than normal. Interview process and timing may be delayed and will vary by site.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
Tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Are you ready to take the next step and work on equipment that requires a high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - using modern maintenance practices and technologies? Are you looking for that right opportunity which will allow you to use and be rewarded for your skills and ability, and provide opportunity for growth? Our technicians are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and, at some locations, on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. We care about our technician’s safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our technicians and managers. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you.
Shift: Monday to Friday from 2pm to 11 pm
Under general supervision, performs preventive maintenance services and inspects, diagnoses and repairs vehicles and equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and may vary by location.
• Works under limited supervision and selects from written instructions and established procedures to accomplish assigned tasks.
• Performs repairs and assigned preventive maintenance services.
• Performs inspection, diagnosis and repair of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on vehicles and equipment.
• Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
• Estimates time and material costs on vehicle repairs and requisitions new parts.
• Performs all work within Standard Repair Times (SRTs).
• Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
• Conducts safety checks on vehicles.
• Completes required paperwork utilizing fleet maintenance software program associated with repairing vehicles, documenting parts usage, and accounting for repair times.
• Reviews, completes or assigns repairs identified on Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports.
• Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate / OHS Standards, and performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
• Completes all assigned mandatory online and in class training modules
• Must have all required tools to fulfill the responsibilities and requirements of the job
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: None Required
• Experience: Three years of relative work experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Valid Journeyman certificate or Red Seal in one of the following trades:
• Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (BC, NU, SK),
• Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Construction) (QC),
• Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Non-Construction) (QC),
• Heavy Equipment Service Technician (NB),
• Heavy Equipment Technician (NT),
• Heavy Equipment Technician - Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Off Road) (AB)
• Heavy Equipment Technician (AB),
• Heavy Equipment Technician - Truck and Transport Mechanic (AB),
• Truck and Transport Mechanic (SK, MB)
• Commercial Transport Vehicle Mechanic (BC),
• Heavy Equipment Technician - Truck and Transport Mechanic (NT),
• Truck and Coach Technician (ON),
• Truck and Transport Service Technician (NB),
• Truck and Transport Technician (YT)
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada with a valid SIN
• Successfully complete pre-employment drug/medical and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than _ pounds most of the work day;
• Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) often;
• Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements often;
• Normal setting for this job is: repair/maintenance shop.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, company pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran