Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Thank you for your interest in Waste Management. In response to COVID-19, we will be conducting our review process through creative solutions. Your patience and flexibility is appreciated as our process may involve virtual solutions and take longer than normal. Interview process and timing may be delayed and will vary by site.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
Tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Are you ready to take the next step and work on equipment that requires a high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - using modern maintenance practices and technologies? Are you looking for that right opportunity which will allow you to use and be rewarded for your skills and ability, and provide opportunity for growth? Our technicians are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and, at some locations, on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. We care about our technician’s safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our technicians and managers. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you.
Shift: Tuesday to Friday 630 am to 5 pm
Occasional travel to London or Petrolia - Service truck provided
I. Job Summary
Repairs and maintains heavy machinery (yellow iron - dozers, excavators, graders, etc) and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines and equipment.
Majority of work performed in heated shop. Breakdown work performed on active landfill.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
• Observes mechanical devices in operation and listens to their sounds to locate causes of trouble.
• Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts.
• Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections.
• Inspects used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements.
• Adjusts functional parts of devices and control instruments.
• Repairs or replaces defective parts.
• Installs special functional and structural parts in devices.
• Lubricates and cleans parts.
• Starts devices to test their performance.
• Sets up and operates lathe, drill press, grinder, and other metalworking tools to make and repair parts.
• Initiates purchase order for parts and machines.
• Repairs electrical equipment.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities This job has no supervisory duties. IV. Qualifications The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: None
• Experience: Four (4) years of relevant work experience as a Heavy Duty Technician
• Preferred Experience: Five (5) or more years of relevant work experience
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Valid G drivers' license; DZ preferred
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• Ability to independently manage and prioritize daily/weekly tasks
• Ability to work alone
V. Work Environment Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
• Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
• Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
• Normal setting for this job is: operating/repairing equipment.
Benefits At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, company pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran