Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Thank you for your interest in Waste Management. In response to COVID-19, we will be conducting our review process through creative solutions. Your patience and flexibility is appreciated as our process may involve virtual solutions and take longer than normal. Interview process and timing may be delayed and will vary by site.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
Tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Are you ready to take the next step and work on equipment that requires a high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - using modern maintenance practices and technologies? Are you looking for that right opportunity which will allow you to use and be rewarded for your skills and ability, and provide opportunity for growth? Our technicians are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and, at some locations, on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. We care about our technician’s safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our technicians and managers. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you.
This is a cross-functional role working on Post Collection equipment (Heavy Equipment) as well as Collection equipment (Trucks) working out of our Strathmore site. Field work required.
Shift: Monday to Friday - 10 am to 630 pm
I. Job Summary
Leads, inspects, and conducts the repair and maintenance of heavy machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines and equipment.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
• Observes mechanical devices in operation and listens to their sounds to locate causes of trouble.
• Dismantles, and instructs less experienced mechanics in the dismantling of, devices to gain access to and remove defective parts.
• Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections.
• Inspects used parts to determine changes in dimensional requirements.
• Adjusts functional parts of devices and control instruments.
• Repairs or replaces defective parts.
• Installs special functional and structural parts in devices.
• Lubricates and cleans parts.
• Starts devices to test their performance.
• Operates lathe, drill press, grinder, and other metalworking tools to make and repair parts.
• Coordinates purchase orders for parts and machines.
• Repairs electrical equipment.
• May assist or direct less experienced mechanics as required.
• Perform regular maintenance and Preventative Maintenance Inspections on equipment and record results and track repairs
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: None Required
• Experience: Four years of relevant experience
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Journeyman Ticket On Road & Off Road Required
• Heavy Equipment Experience Required
• On Highway Experience Recommended
• Working in the Field Required
• Required: Valid Class 5 drivers' license with clean driving record
• Preferred: Class 5 with air brake endorsement or Class 3 or higher with air brake endorsement
• Preferred: High school diploma or G.E.D, Interprovincial Red seal, and greater than 4 years’ experience.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada with a valid SIN
• Successfully complete pre-employment drug/medical and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• A CVIP License is also highly desired. Lead Hand or foreman experience is an asset.
• Microsoft Office and system experience.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc) most of the work day;
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
• Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc) rarely;
• Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
• Normal setting for this job is: operating/repairing equipment.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, company pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran