The full-time Cabinetry/Cabinetmaker Lead Fabricator for exhibits at McWane Science Center is responsible for prototyping, producing, installing and maintaining exhibits and environments to ensure visitors have a safe and fun learning experience.
Accountabilities and Major Duties
1. Prototype, fabricate, install, repair and maintain exhibits from blueprints, plans, sketches, models and/ or concepts.
2. Take lead role on daily tasks while communicating clearly and concisely with other team members to complete tasks.
3. Responsible for set-up, troubleshooting, routine maintenance, and operation of shop machinery and tools, including metalworking, woodworking, and miscellaneous specialty equipment.
4. Move, install, maintain, de-install and load-out traveling exhibits and related projects.
5. Responsible for annual planning, budgeting and purchasing of exhibit lighting, track lighting and specialty lighting.
6. Perform all job duties in a manner that meets or exceeds safety regulations.
7. Organize, install, and maintain shop equipment, tools, materials and supplies.
8. Maintain positive team morale and help cultivate skills from team members while consistently producing high quality craftsmanship work.
9. Organize log of exhibits maintenance, repairs, and remodels in SharePoint computer system.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Five (5) years of related work experience.
- Ability to work occasional weekends.
- Ability to maintain and produce products that are safe and of high-quality craftsmanship.
- Ability to apply and finish products of a high quality.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate a high level of initiative.
- Ability to work with a variety of techniques and materials such as wood, metal, plastics and numerous finishes.
- Knowledge of basic electrical/electronic wiring and plumbing.
- Literate in reading blueprints, plans and sketches.
- Skilled in the use of shop equipment, power and hand tools.
- Ability to work well in a creative team approach and maintain positive, effective communications with educators, public relations personnel, exhibit staff, volunteers, vendors and/or other staff.
- Ability to maintain effective organizational skills.
- Must possess a valid Alabama driver’s license.
- Must provide proof of minimum liability insurance as required by state law.
Minimum Physical Job Qualifications
- Perform work utilizing stationary and portable equipment (saws, drills, sander, grinder, welder, staple and nail guns, finishing equipment, etc.) as well as computers.
- Ability to operate a vehicle.
- Stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave the work area.
- Climb ladders and stairs in performing the work.
- Walk for considerable distances in performing the work.
- Lift objects frequently in performing the work (100 lbs.).
- Pull or push objects on a regular basis (1000 lbs.).
- Carry objects on a regular basis in the arms or on the shoulders (50+ lbs.).
- Grasp objects utilizing the fingers.
- Reach for objects above the head or below the waist.
- Stoop or crouch by bending at the waist or by bending legs.
- Crawl in confined spaces on the hands and knees to perform work.
- Color determination.
- Clarity of vision at 20 feet or more with or without corrective lenses.
- Exposure to constant or intermittent high noise levels.
- Exposure to high/low temperature levels that result in significant body discomfort.
- Exposure to dust, fumes or vapors that could potentially affect the health of the employee.
Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan including company match; paid time off; free membership and movie screenings; discounts in our gift shop, IMAX Theater and camp program; and on-site parking.
Come join our team! Please forward resume and salary requirements to HR@mcwane.org. EOE.