Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
Tired of just doing preventative maintenance or working only on engines? Are you ready to take the next step and work on equipment that requires a high level of skill - hydraulics, electrical, diagnostics - using modern maintenance practices and technologies? Are you looking for that right opportunity which will allow you to use and be rewarded for your skills and ability, and provide opportunity for growth? Our technicians are trained to provide superior maintenance on both diesel equipment and, at some locations, on our growing fleet of CNG trucks. We care about our technician’s safety and show it by demanding solid safety practices of all our technicians and managers. Pride, safety, training, growth, opportunity, great benefits, rewards – check us out, we may be the company for you.
Why Work for Waste Management
• Competitive Pay with new, higher rates!
• For this travel Position – You Get Travel and Lodging Coverage
• Industry leading Health Insurance
• 401(k) with Company Match
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan
• Dental, Vision, Life, Short & Long-Term Disability Insurance
• A yearly tool allowance, boot allowance and uniforms
• Employee Discount Programs, Adoption Assistance Program, Legal Services Plan, and more!
• Ongoing Training and Career Advancement Opportunities
• An opportunity to work with an empowering workforce
• Travel 40-47 Weeks of the Year Helping Different Shops within WPA, MD, WV and VA catch up on Workload
• 4 Years Minimum Diesel Mechanic Experience
• Preferred Waste Industry experience, but not required
•Valid CDL and ASE Certifications is a plus
I. Job Summary
Performs preventive maintenance inspection (PMI); troubleshoots, repairs, and rebuilds major components on vehicles and equipment. Ensures accurate diagnosis and effective repair and/or replacement of components. Participant must be able to commit to a prolonged stay in any part of our service area. Ability and willingness to travel are required.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
• Maintains a clean, safe work area in compliance with Corporate/OSHA Standards, and performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
• Performs preventive maintenance inspections and ensures the timely and effective repair of any problems identified during an inspection.
• Performs proficient inspection, diagnosis and moderately complex repair of assigned vehicles and equipment.
• Provides assistance, guidance and direction to other maintenance personnel.
• Utilizes vehicle computer electronics systems to interpret failure modes to initiate or assign repairs.
• Estimates time and material costs on repairs and requisitions new parts.
• Advises supervisor immediately if additional work is needed or if repairs cannot be completed within the Standard Repair Times (SRTs).
• Inspects the quality of outside/supplier repairs and or rebuilds. Assesses structural damage and assigns needed repairs utilizing the most appropriate method(s).
• Performs service calls for emergency breakdowns.
• Conducts safety checks on vehicles. Performs maintenance related work as required.
• In the absence of supervision may provide maintenance supervisory duties.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
• This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: None Required
• Experience: Four years previous experience.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Legally eligible to work in the United States.
• Valid driver’s license and must have a clean driving record.
• Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
• Successfully complete pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check, which will include previous employment check, criminal history and motor vehicle record review.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• Skill in operating tools equipment, parts and procedures utilized during the repair and servicing of vehicles and equipment, skill in repair of special purpose equipment, ability to effectively communicate needed repairs or tasks, ability to diagnose defects in and repair a variety of equipment and vehicles, ability to utilize fleet maintenance software program, and knowledge of Total Tire Maintenance Program may be required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: repair/maintenance shop.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran