Why Drive for Waste Management?
STABILITY. GREAT PAY. ADVANCEMENT.
Why should you apply? We invest in you!
- Earn Your CDL!
- Be home every night and weekend
- Industry-leading health insurance
- Yearly boot allowance, uniforms, safety vests and protective eye wear
- 3 Weeks Paid Time Off
- 401(K) + company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Employee Discount programs
- An opportunity to work with an empowering workforce and career advancement
About the Job
In tandem with a seasoned WM Driver and/or WM Driver Trainer, after receiving their Commercial Driving Permit, the Driver Apprentice will complete the required training to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle providing service to customers in their respective Line of Business (LOB). The Driver Apprentice will continue in this role until they complete all training requirements.
Click here to take a glimpse into the day-to-day of a WM Driver
What Does It Take to be a Driver at WM?
Below are the minimum qualifications to be a fit as a Driver.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Be able to attain a Class B Commercial Driver's Permit.
- Current state-issued standard driver’s license.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Successfully complete and pass pre-employment drug screen and physical.
What You'll Do
After obtaining their Commercial Driving Permit, partners with a WM Driver and/or WM Driver Trainer to train on the proper way to operate a commercial refuse / recycling vehicle:
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, OSHA (Occupational and Safety Health Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report).
- Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service-related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
- Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions including closed or impassable streets or alleyways, receptacles too heavy to service or potential safety hazards.
- Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
- Completely dumps all receptacles and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris.
- Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and check out process.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
While obtaining your Commercial Driving Permit and completing the training to be a WM Driver, you’ll serve as an on-route Helper and help do the following:
- Manually or mechanically load and empty residential and/or commercial containers into truck.
- Containers maybe staged curbside, dockside, carryout, or require pullout to complete service.
- Operates hoisting device to lift and empty bins or containers into truck hopper.
- Assists driver with all backing maneuvers while on route.
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
- You'll handle objects more than 50 pounds frequently.
- You'll have to push, pull, bend, twist and lift up to 100 lbs.
- Normal setting for this job is outdoors and/or driving a video/GPS monitored vehicle.
- You'll be in a physical, outdoor environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
About our Benefits
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability, as well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Waste Management (WM) is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran