Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects. Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
When you drive for Waste Management, you join a team of the best drivers in the nation - professional, well trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe. They know they are valued front-line team members who are the key in making Waste Management number one in the industry. They are rewarded with competitive pay, great benefits, opportunity for growth, and they are home at night and on the weekends.
Training is 40 hours / week – once trained, hours will be governed by collective agreement / spareboard
I. Job Summary
Safely operates a heavy-duty truck to perform assigned duties on residential recycling routes. This is a manual side load driving position where you will be physically throwing material recyclables - it is not an automated lift. I. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
• Operates vehicle in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) and Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements as well as all municipal, provincial and federal requirements and Company expectations for the Fleet; maintains a clean and safe vehicle.
• Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle using utilizing standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report); notes all issues on DVIR form for corrective review/repair.
• Immediately reports any unsafe situations or service calls to Route Manager or Dispatch before attempting service.
• Participates and cooperates in all scheduled training, briefings, and meetings as required by Route Manager.
• Works closely with Route Managers to improve route efficiencies and identify problem or unsafe accounts.
• Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch, assisting other company drivers as directed.
• Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
• Notifies Dispatch or Route Manager of issues as prescribed by Service Machine protocol, including blocked containers, potential missed pick-ups or problems that arise on the route.
• Communicates customer requests or issues to Dispatch or Route Manager.
• Completely dumps all containers and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris.
• Completes and submits customer tickets when excess yardage must be removed.
• Positions containers on the customer’s property in a manner that ensures lids are properly replaced, containers are set in an upright position, and containers do not block driveway entrances or traffic.
• Follows route assignments throughout the day and completes all documentation when checking-in at the end of the route.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: None required.
• Experience: At least one (1) year of experience within the last seven (7) years operating a vehicle requiring a DZ or Class 3 or higher license, or military equivalent.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
• Must have a valid DZ or Class 3 or higher license with airbrakes endorsement.
• Able to successfully pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check consisting of a medical/drug test, criminal history search, license verification and employment verification.
• Legally able to work in Canada with a valid SIN.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• Acceptable driving record required.
Normal setting for this job is: outdoors and/or driving a vehicle.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, company pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran