Looking for a richly rewarding way to give back to your community? Adopt an Inmate!
We believe that all God’s children, even (especially) people guilty of crimes, are worthy of compassion and mercy. In the words of Bryan Stevenson, “Each of us is more than the worst thing we’ve ever done.” Study after study shows that prisoners do better when they have support, which greatly reduces recidivism - so it's a win-win for the inmates and our communities.
The inmates who write to us are often forgotten souls, and want nothing more than a kind word, some encouragement, acknowledgement of birthdays and holidays - things you and I take for granted. These simple gestures, carried in a letter, would mean the world to them. For pennies, stamps and a little time, these letters get past the dark prison walls and deliver light and kindness.
Please browse our website (www.adoptaninmate.org) to learn more about our program, that we may connect with those willing to help.
Adopt an Inmate is a non-profit, all-volunteer organization that helps find adopters/mentors for inmates who are seeking friendship and encouraging words from the outside world. Our mission is, in part, to provide relief, comfort, and hope to those facing judgment, and to help those sentenced emerge from prison whole, knowing they are part of a larger family that loves and cares for them. Join our Community of Angels – Adopt an Inmate!
There are also a number of other ways you can help:
- Send birthday cards on behalf of Adopt an inmate (you choose number and timing, i.e., 5 cards each month; 20 cards one time only; etc.)
- Research or maintain/update mail and visitation rules list for your state
- Be a guest Blogger; tell us about your newfound friendship!
- Donate stamps; as little or as many as you choose
- Donate through Paypal, or send a Staples gift card for office supplies
- Post fliers to recruit volunteers in your state
- Donate books for us to send to inmates
Join our Community of Angels – Adopt an Inmate! Email: email@example.com.